Someone once said that real strength is the ability to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands and then eat just one of the pieces. I must have no willpower whatsoever because to date, I haven’t managed to pass this test! I stopped eating animal products years ago and haven’t looked back since, but giving up chocolate and going completely healthy is like climbing Mount Everest – a fantastic idea in theory, but not something I’m likely to tackle anytime soon. If I had it my way, I would dip everything in chocolate. Brownies in particular are my weakness, not to mention chocolate covered fruit. MmmMmm… 😀
Since we’re on the topic of all things chocolate, the other day I baked this yummy chocolate cake with almonds and coconut bits. What I love most about this recipe is that you don’t need any fancy ingredients to make it. Don’t get me wrong, I love specialized vegan shops, but sometimes it’s just nice to be able to walk into your local supermarket and find all the ingredients you need in one go.
Ready to try this mouthwatering dessert? Here’s what you’ll need:
- 250g vegan margarine
- 6tbsp cocoa powder
- 220g unrefined sugar
- 2 cups water
- 250g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 60 g coconut flakes
- 60g almonds (finely chopped)
- 10 x 25cm baking tin
- Preheat the oven at 180° C. Grease the baking tray and line with grease-proof paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour in a bowl and add the baking powder.
- In a pot, cook the sugar and the water until the sugar dissolves. Add the cocoa powder and mix well. Remove from stove and add the butter. Stir until all the butter has melted. Set aside to cool.
- Add the flour in the cocoa mixture. Stir in the baking soda, lemon juice, coconut flakes and almonds.
- Once the mixture is ready, spoon it in the baking tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 50 – 60 mins.
- When ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 – 15 mins. before removing from the tin.
- Serve with soy whipped cream and strawberries!
Slice & enjoy!