If anyone ever tells you that a good risotto cannot be dairy-free, don’t listen to them. Some people seem to think that it’s “impossible to make a proper creamy risotto without cheese”. I say nay! Anyone who really believes that obviously has no clue about food. Veganizing risottos is super easy, and this beer risotto recipe is just one of the many possible ways to do it.
To make this risotto, you’ll need:
- 200g risotto rice
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 50g olives
- juice from 1/2 lemon & zest
- 800ml veg stock
- 240ml beer ( 1 small glass )
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 100g coocked chestnuts
- salt & pepper
- Chop the onion finely and throw it in a pot with the olive oil. Fry for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the butter and the rice, and mix well.
- Pour in the beer and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- With a ladle, pour the veg stock bit by bit until all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir constantly to stop the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the olives, chestnuts, garlic, lemon juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for a further 8-10 mins.
- Adding sun-dried tomatoes makes this dish extra flavorful!