They say that cooking light meals for dinner is a good first step towards a healthier diet, and I think there’s a lot of truth in that. What’s the point of eating your weight’s worth in pasta right before going to bed?! Here’s an easy recipe to get you started on that road: delicious veggie filled lettuce wraps!
To make these wraps, you’ll need:
1. Cook your vegetables. Whether you like to fry them in a pan, roast them in the oven or boil them ( I prefer to boil mine), its up to you. For my wraps I used mushrooms, celery, carrots and pickles, but you can use any combination of vegetables you like. I personally also love the combo of green asparagus, mushrooms and garlic.
2. Slice your vegetables into thin, long slices, and set aside.
3. Clean your lettuce leaves. I find that bok choy leaves ( aka Chinese cabbage) are also a good option for these kind of wraps. Pour boiling water over them and pat them dry. This will make your leaves soft and bendy.
4. Grab a mix of your sliced veg and wrap the lettuce around them. Use toothpicks if you want to be extra sure they don’t come apart.
5. For the sauce, mix some wasabi with soy sauce as you would when you eat sushi.
Tip: To add more flavour to your wraps, mix some tahini with lemon juice and agave syrup to make a paste. Spread the tahini paste on the wraps before adding the veg filling. Roll and nom away!