I’m going to tell you something that the fishing industry conveniently left out. Omega-3 is not naturally produced by fish. Honest truth! Algae produces Omega-3, the fish nom it up, and that’s how the fishing industry can sell us icky fishy oil in capsules & get away with calling it ” a healthy source of Omega-3″.Whether you are vegan or not, switching from fish to algae oil is one of the best choices you could make, for your health & for the environment. Here’s why you should make the switch:
- There is a lot of pollution in the oceans, and the fish are eating all of these poisonous compounds. Plus, the levels of sea mercury alone have increased by 30% over the last 30 years, and mercury is impossible to remove from fish when extracting the oil. So all of that grossness and toxicity ultimately ends up in your body.
- Around 85% of global fish stocks are currently being over exploited by the fishing industry. A lot of species are on the verge of extinction due to overfishing and illigal fishing. Not to mention all the bycatch.
- Algae contains docosaheaenoic acid (DHA), which is only present in marine-based life forms. If you are following a vegan or a vegetarian diet, chances are you are getting a lot of alpha-Linolenic acid (ALA), but are lacking in DHA, which is essential for mood, brain, eye and heart health.
I’ve recently discovered Nothing Fishy, a small company that produces vegan friendly Omega-3 soft-gels from sustainably grown algae. They are non-GMO, free from harmful toxic metals, and come in eco-friendly packaging. Pretty neat, right? 🙂Each soft-gel contains 200ml DHA, and with just one or two capsules you’re set for the day! I like to blend it in my morning juices or smoothies ( it has no fishy taste so you won’t even know it’s there ). It’s always good to add some healthy fats to your smoothies because fruits and veggies contain fat soluble minerals and vitamins, so they need fat to be broken down properly and absorbed by the body. You can get the oil out simply by poking a hole in the capsule. Below you’ve got one of my favorite nana cream berry bowl recipes, with raspberries, strawberries and lingonberry powder. So,so good. 🙂 I hope you enjoy it!
- 100g frozen raspberries
- 1 tsp lingonberry powder
- 100g frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 Nothing Fishy capsules
- 50 ml almond milk
- 1-2 dates ( optional )
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- Poke a whole in the capsules to get out the algae oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve with freeze-dried raspberries.
Fore more information about Nothing Fishy, visit: www.nothingfishy.co