I’m sorry vegan friends, for some reason I stopped posting savory recipes…chocolate has that effect on me. 🙂 Time to mix things up a bit, so this post is all about making one of my all-time favorite Indian dishes – lentil daal! I’m sure there are oh so many curry recipes online, and we all get inspired from them, but this combination of ingredients here is the one that works best for me. You can use green or red lentils for this recipe. If you decide to try it with the green lentils or any other kind of lentils, make sure you see how long they need cooking for. Red lentils for example only need to be cooked for about 10-15 minutes max or they turn to mush, so you really want to stay near the stove and keep an eye on that pot! Let’s make some daal! Here’s how:
- 200g red lentils
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 broccoli head
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 4 small tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- Coconut cream from one can of coconut milk
- Cook the red lentils in 700ml water for 10 minutes. When ready remove from heat and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, fry the chopped onion in the coconut oil together with the curry powder, turmeric and cumin powder. Chop the broccoli in small pieces and add to the pan.
- In a food processor, process the tomatoes, the garlic and ginger until smooth. Add the tomato sauce to the pan with the broccoli and the onion, and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the broccoli starts to soften.
- Throw the tomato veggie mix in with the cooked lentils, and the coconut cream, and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or bread.