It’s been a while since I posted a savoury recipe, so this week I thought I’d spice things up a bit, (more like salt things up a bit). 😀
If you’ve always wanted to make vegan meatballs, then today is your lucky day! Not just that, but I’ll also be sharing with you a simple but yummy tomato sauce that goes really well with these meatballs, or with a ginormous plate of spaghetti. ❤They are super easy to make, you just need seitan, nuts – macadamia and pine nuts are my favourite combo – spices, and bread crumbs. For the tomato sauce I like to use both fresh and sun dried tomatoes, as well as some basil ( whenever possible avoid using dried herbs, fresh is always the best way to go! ). Ready to make some seitan meatballs? Let’s get cooking! 🙂
- 250g seitan
- 70g macadamia nuts & pine nuts ( or other nuts of your choice )
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Fresh parsley
- 1 egg replacer ( flax egg or powder )
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 6-7 sun dried tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt & pepper
- Handful fresh basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Using a food processor, process the seitan first. Add the nuts, olive oil, and soy sauce. Salt to taste, and process again.
- Prepare the egg mixture. If you’re using powdered egg substitute follow the instructions on the box. If you’re using flaxseed meal instead, use 1 tbsp of meal and 2 ½ tbsp. of hot water. Cover the meal with the water, and let is soak up the water for 5-10 minutes. When the meal has absorbed all the water, add it to the seitan mixture.
- Cut the parsley, and mix it with the breadcrumbs. Add the breadcrumbs to the seitan, and mix until well combined. Form into balls ( about 1 tbsp per ball ).
- Bake the balls on a tray lined with baking paper for 20 minutes.
- For the sauce, throw all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Heat up the tomato sauce in a saucepan over low heat.
- I personally like to serve the sauce on the side rather than on top of the meatballs. That way the meatballs are nice and crispy.