Often enough people decide against following a vegan diet because they don’t want to give up some of the things they enjoy, like cheese and desserts (I know I’ve personally struggled with this). You’ll be glad to hear that things aren’t all that grim! When it comes to meat, milk, cheeses and desserts, there are plenty of alternatives for vegans. Take these bonbons for instance. They are super chocolatey, but contain no animal products!
You only really need cocoa powder and cocoa butter (no milk or butter!) to make raw vegan chocolate. In this recipe I also used peanut butter, ground hazelnuts and a pinch of chilli. If you’re not a fan of spicy food, try using cinnamon instead. That’s the great thing about raw chocolate, there’s plenty of room to be creative.
To make this dessert, you’ll need:
1. Melt the cocoa butter over a bain marie.
2. Slowly stir in the cocoa powder and the agave syrup, and take off the heat.
3. In a bowl, mix the ground hazelnuts, the chilli and the peanut butter.
4. Slowly pour the chocolate mixture in the silicone mould, filling the bonbon holes half way.
5. With a teaspoon, scoop some of the peanut butter mixture into each hole. Top off your bonbons with another layer of the chocolate mix.
6. Stick in the freezer for a couple of hours or leave in the fridge overnight.